Thursday, January 15, 2009

What is a "wide angler"?

This blog focuses on wide angle photography. My name is Nico, I am an amateur photographer with a Nikon D50 that is amazed and humbled by the range and abilities of a recent addition to my "rig", a Tokina AT-X Pro SD 11-16mm f/2.8 (IF) DX.

Why do I like wide-angles?  There are a few reasons.  With somewhat of a limited focal range, it really forces the photographer to be an artist, to move around and think about what is in the frame and what is excluded, to think about positioning and perspective, and, with some of the distortion effects, to play some also.  Shooting people is not easy.  There is no cheating with a wide-angle lens, no sneaking with a long zoom.  For an intimate picture, you need to be close to your subject.  Conversely, what is better for a landscape shot?  As an additional benefit, at a wide-angle, chances are better that your exposure will be tack sharp!

My goal with the blog is to bring together a community of "wide anglers" - photographers (new and seasoned) passionate about wide-angle photography - in order to help maximize the benefits and improve the overall art that these broad focal lengths offer. Similar to what Strobist is for off-camera flash (amazing site, check it out!), here I hope to provide a wide-angle idea bank with a supportive group. (Full disclosure: I have no association with Strobist)

I should also re-emphasize that I am far from the experienced veteran to provide instruction.  While my reading and experimentation will help pave the way on this blog, I look to those with more tenure to share their images, provide guest posts, and offer advice in order to improve all not only as photographers, but as wide-anglers.

39th St under the bridge 2
Nikon D50, Tokina 11-16mm @ 15mm, f/4.5, 1/80s


No comments:

Post a Comment